The most under prepared for Item; Long Term Water Source

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The most under prepared for Item; Long Term Water Source

Post by hawkiye on Fri 26 Dec 2008, 12:58 pm

One area most including myself are lacking in is long term water source/storage. If you have a well or spring and a way to pump great. If not 5 or ten water barrels will not last long if you have no other source. If you have a stream or pond or lake nearby great but what if it gets contaminated or if you have to travel away from the house to get it will it be safe to do so etc?

One thing I have been thinking about is rain water off the roof and even large sheets of plastic could be spread out to catch rain. If I remember right 1000 square feet of roof will yield 500 gallons per inch of rain. But how to store it? Lots of barrels is one way. However it would take a lot barrels to store enough for long term. Another is cisterns or plastic tanks but they can be expensive and take up a lot of space and can be ugly. Although you can build them using ferro cement for cheaper permanent cisterns.

I was thinking of large bladders like the military sometimes uses but they are also expensive. So I have come up the idea of using water bed bladders or mattresses. you could put them under the house or under a deck, or I was thinking of even building a frame to hold them in up on there edge. I haven't tried this yet but it could be cheap way to store larger volumes of water. I don't know how much they will hold but I am guessing 200-300 gallons?

hawkiye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The most under prepared for Item; Long Term Water Source

Post by Maureen on Sat 27 Dec 2008, 2:49 pm

Lots of large containers can be used for reservoirs. Make sure they are safe for drinking water. Plastic 55 gal drums are good if they had food or soap in them. Window wash soap comes in them so oil change shops are a good source. You can hook them together in series or in parallel. Sometimes you can get fiberglass, stainless steel (milk) bulk tanks cheap. Burial is a possibility, as is mounting in the attic (if you have a really strong structure). Most tanks are highly vulnerable to stray bullets from hunters, etc. Easier than burial may be dry stacking rocks around your tank. Water does get stale if it sits too long so ideally your system would be your regular house or barn supply. You can dig holes and line them with EPDM/butyl rubbler. This stuff cost about 35 cents/sq foot last I checked. You will have to cover the pond somehow. Be certain to get pond liner, not roofing EPDM (has nasty chemicals). This could turn out to be about the cheapest and most discrete reservoir. Whatever sort of reservoir you use, remember that your watershed area should be fenced out and protected.

Maureen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by hopefulfilled on Thu 19 Feb 2009, 10:14 pm

I found some good info on rainwater collecting (for dummies) in a booklet from www.endtimesreport.com It was easy to do. I am almost done with it. But, it will not provide all our water, despite the fact we have a large roof area, because we are in a major drought, and have a need for a lot of water in our gardens, fruit trees, etc.
We have a deep well which we need our generator for, which is a problem, if the shtf and no gas, or generator breaks. There are hand pumps for deep wells, but are a little pricey although cheaper by far than a solar well. We have little money so we can't go that way. Does anyone know if these handpumps work on deep wells, and are there parts that may break? I think the one i have heard of is called the "simple pump" . Thanks for your replies, and if interested, check out that website for his easy and permanent rain water collection system. the pamphlet is very inexpensive.

hopefulfilled

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkiye on Fri 20 Feb 2009, 3:12 pm

Thanks for the link. I don't have experience with the deep well hand pumps. I have researched it but never tried it

Here is a link I have bookmarked for digging your own shallow well ( might want to consider doing that for gardens and fruit trees etc.) but it also talks about making a manual pump using some poly tubing with a foot valve on the end. I was thinking of making one of these and hooking it up to a bicycle for emergency pumping:

http://www.fdungan.com/well.htm

Here is a link to building your own solar pump:

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/yago91.html

Also if you have any running water near you here is a plan for making your own ram pump to pump water very good for watering gardens and stock etc:

http://members.tripod.com/ATLASPUB/id2.htm

All of these are cheap alternatives. Hope this helps

hawkiye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by greendragon on Wed 04 Mar 2009, 1:46 pm

Yes this is something many people over look. I myself am now realizing I am not prepared with a long term water supply. I better get to work.

greendragon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by hopefulfilled on Fri 24 Apr 2009, 7:57 pm

I just discovered a source for a very inexpensive filter for water that has been stored, rainwater, or other source. Here is the site:
http://www.sawyerpointonefilters.com/pointone-filter.php

I finally finished my rainwater collection system, except one more roof needs fascia, and gutters, and will connect to the same tank. I am so excited! (We have a drought, so this is necessary for gardening). With the above filter, if it is ever necessary, we could drink this water too, if we didn't have gas for our generator to get water out of our well, or generator broke down, etc.

hopefulfilled

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkiye on Fri 24 Apr 2009, 11:16 pm

Looks like good idea. I have a filter like a Berky except I made it myself and just bought the Berky filters. It's actually similar to that one but has four ceramic filters with two food grade buckets.

Glad to hear you got your Rain water system in. What are you storing the water in?

hawkiye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by hopefulfilled on Sat 25 Apr 2009, 7:59 am

I have a 250 gallon square poly tank that someone gave me, and plan to make an overflow into a 55 gallon plastic barrel.

hopefulfilled

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by hopefulfilled on Wed 24 Jun 2009, 6:39 am

I have just found another possible solution, as an alternative to solar well pump. Would you please comment on this, you people who are knowledgeable about such mechanical things? Especially about what it would take to charge the air compressor, and where to get one of these? Thank you. This is a brumby pump, which is apparently used in the Australian outback, where the wells are deep, and there is no power.
http://www.brumbypumps.com/

hopefulfilled

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkiye on Wed 24 Jun 2009, 10:36 am

hopefulfilled wrote:I have just found another possible solution, as an alternative to solar well pump. Would you please comment on this, you people who are knowledgeable about such mechanical things? Especially about what it would take to charge the air compressor, and where to get one of these? Thank you. This is a brumby pump, which is apparently used in the Australian outback, where the wells are deep, and there is no power.
http://www.brumbypumps.com/

Nice find hopefilled!

This looks very cool. What you need is a gas operated air compressor so you would need some fuel to run your air compressor. But I like this idea very much because of the simplicity of the pump and how it will last and not wear out corrode or seize up etc. You could probably run the compressor on ethanol or wood gas or even methane.

Long term if the power goes out and stays out you'd want spare parts for the compressor and it's engine. I Imagine you could run an electric compressor off solar too if you already have solar for the house. Lots of possibilities here. Or if you have a generator already you could run your electric compressor off your generator in which case you need fuel still.

This is an excellent solution since you don't have electronics in the well and it easy to install and remove!

hawkiye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkiye on Wed 24 Jun 2009, 10:47 am

Here's a video of a guy testing it with his electrical compressor

hawkiye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkiye on Wed 24 Jun 2009, 12:59 pm

Ok Here we go! Instructions for making your own for about 30$ Now were talking!

http://openfarmtech.org/index.php?title=Compressed_Air_Water_Pump

hawkiye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mafiafran on Mon 11 Oct 2010, 5:58 am

Yes this is something many people over look. I myself am now realizing I am not prepared with a long term water supply. I better get to work.

online bingo
Roulette

mafiafran

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 3:18 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top